SOME OBSERVATIONS INTO THE THELEMIC
GEMATRIA OF LIBER AL vel LEGIS
Sub figura CCXX
As delivered by XCIII = 418 to DCLXVI
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
Love is the law, love under will.
GEMATRIA OF LIBER AL vel LEGIS
Sub figura CCXX
As delivered by XCIII = 418 to DCLXVI
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
Love is the law, love under will.
Aleister Crowley (666) received the Law of Thelema, which comprises the three chapters of the Book of the Law [Liber Al vel Legis] in Cairo, on April 8, 9 and 10, 1904 e.v. between noon and one o’clock on each consecutive day. Aiwass, an entity who called himself ‘the minister of Hoor-Paar-Kraat’, (the Lord of Silence), dictated it to him. The inception of the new ‘aeon of Horus’ is well documented in Crowley’s writings and therefore it is not necessary for me to dwell upon. Like all Thelemites I find inspiration in the Book of the Law and become enveloped in its mystery of words; its rich and yet obscure beauty; its enlightened ciphers and codes, which for most give proof to its praeter-human origins. I do not profess to be a scholar of the Kabbalah and nor do I fall into the pit of pretence of having any ‘authority’ on the subject. Nor do I for that matter ‘come to enlighten you upon the discovery of the English Kabbalah’; in fact, I do not believe a credible English Kabbalah has yet come to light, and so I do not subscribe to any ‘workable system’ and will not deal with it in this work.
I am a student of Magick; a Thelemite who accepts the word of the aeon of Horus into his heart and rejoices at the love of Nu! I bring no great revelations, yet I put forward some suggestions, some of which are already well established and others are my own thoughts, which may help pour forth some light upon the darkness of the aspirant, for we are all born of darkness. It is my opinion that the study of the ‘book’ is a personal matter where one may grow, develop and attain in accordance with one’s own knowledge and capabilities, to illuminate the Great Work in each of us. However, I do believe that accepted and accumulated data as to research be made available and added to in accordance with new-enlightened ideas; the Law, by its very nature must evolve and not become static and dogmatic.
The Book of the Law
Liber AL vel Legis
sub figura CCXX
as delivered by XCIII = 418 to DCLXVI
1. Had! The manifestation of Nuit.
The first verse declares that through Hadit, Nuit manifests, thus to say that these two entities depend on each other and cannot exist as separate ‘beings’; they are the opposite or complement to each other. Hadit’s nature is to ‘go’ for he is motion, and Nuit’s nature is matter for she is revealed where Hadit remains concealed. Also, notice that the first verse of chapter one begins with five words and five is the pentagram, which is a symbol of Hadit. Had in full is HH-ALP-DLT=555.
2. The unveiling of the company of heaven.
The company of heaven is humanity and the unveiling is the removal of the old acceptance that god exists ‘without’ and that we are to do His will. The new aeon teaches that we are all ‘stars’ travelling in our own orbits which is the centre of our universe; we each recognize the flame of illumination in all other independent ‘stars’ or ‘beings’ that we encounter and understand that they too are the centre of their own universe. God is ‘within’ each of us and through initiation and the Law of Thelema we become that God.3. Every man and every woman is a star.
We are all an expression of the ‘self god’ and thus interlinked with one and other in the ‘body of Nuit’ which is the limitless light of space (ain soph). As stars, we cannot help but become exposed to other stars and affect them by the power of will. This will can have a devastating and negative effect upon another and weaken them or even destroy them through this collision, which is to corrupt the ‘self god’ and in turn destroy one’s self. Therefore, we are told to respect the inner light within all of us and to remember ‘love is the law, love under will’.4. Every number is infinite; there is no difference.
A reiteration of the previous verse stating once again the importance of accepting the logic that there is no difference between one thing and another thing; to delude one’s self that one thing is greater than another is to pander to that false god, the ego, which is surely to place one’s foot upon the path of the black brotherhood.
5. Help me, o warrior lord of Thebes, in my unveiling before the Children of men!
The ‘warrior lord of Thebes’ is Ankh-f-na-Khonsu, the Priest of Mentu, in the Temple of Amen-Ra, the sun god of the 26th dynasty. He is depicted on the Stele of Revealing whose exhibit number at the Boulak Museum in Cairo was 666. Ankh-f-na-Khonsu translates as ‘His life is in Khonsu’ Crowley believed himself to have been Ankh-f-na-Khonsu in a previous life and details of this can be found in ‘Across the Gulf’, The Equinox, volume I, number VII. The capital C of children indicates another meaning and perhaps it refers to the grade of Babe of the Abyss.
6. Be thou Hadit, my secret centre, my heart & my tongue!
In verse six, we are urged by Aiwass speaking as Nuit to identify ourselves with Hadit. The secret centre, heart and tongue are an allusion to the upper supernal triad of Kether, Chokhmah and Binah. ‘Be thou Hadit’ also contains 11 letters and the sentence including the ampersand has 11 words.
7. Behold! it is revealed by Aiwass the minister of Hoor-paar-kraat.
AIWASS (6 letters, 6=the sun) by Greek numeration = 1+10+6+1+200+200=418 - (ABRAHADABRA). A is the letter of AIR, I is the Father, V is the Son and S is the letter of Fire. (Aiwass also has the Hebrew spelling OIVZ [AIWAZ] 70+10+6+7=93 and refers to another aspect of his nature.
Aleph=ONE, O in the Tarot which is the Fool, the element of Air. Also Aleph/One= the male principle (Phallus) and Aleph/O the female principle (Kteis). Also, note there are 52 letters in the verse. Hoor-paar-kraat is the god of silence, the babe in the egg of blue who is the symbol of the Holy Guardian Angel.
8. The Khabs is in the Khu, not the Khu in the Khabs.
Khabs= star, the self god within each of us; the innermost light which is LVX and Khu is the subtle robe in which it is housed, beyond the veil of the mind and the body. Also, notice KHU 20+5+6=31 and KU 20+6=26.9. Worship then the Khabs, and behold my light shed over you!
The Khabs is the light of Nu and the verse contains 11 words, which is the number of Magick.10. Let my servants be few & secret: they shall rule the many & the known.
11. These are fools that men adore; both their Gods & their men are fools.
12. Come forth, o children, under the stars, & take your fill of love!
Observe the equation (+1) + (-1) =O or 1 (-1) =O.
Love=111 which is Aleph, the Fool. It is also a number of Binah= 1+1+1=3. The word ‘Fill’=6+10+30+30=76 (7+6=13= AChAD and XIII, Death in the Tarot.
13. I am above you and in you. My ecstasy is in yours. My joy is to see your joy.
Nuit through Aiwass is here stating that she is linked to the adept and shares his/her joy.14. Above, the gemmed azure is
The naked splendour of Nuit;
She bends in ecstasy to kiss
The secret ardours of Hadit.
The winged globe, the starry blue,
Are mine, O Ankh-af-na-khonsu!
The verse describes poetically the distinction between Nuit, Hadit and Ankh-af-na-Khonsu as shown on the Stele of Revealing. Verse 14 contains 31 words.15. Now ye shall know that the chosen priest & apostle of infinite space is the prince-priest the Beast; and in his woman called the Scarlet Woman is all power given. They shall gather my children into their fold: they shall bring the glory of the stars into the hearts of men.
Nuit through Aiwass is here giving the Beast the authority as prophet of the aeon of Horus the power to promulgate the Law of Thelema. Note that BEAST= 2+5+1+60+9=77 (OZ) also ThRION=400+200+10+6+50=666. ALL=1+30+30=61 (AL=31).
ShT: (S=XX in the Tarot and T=XI in the Tarot). XX= the Stele of Revealing= Judgement, the end of an aeon. XI= Strength, Leo, Babalon & the Beast conjoined.16. For he is ever a sun, and she a moon. But to him is the winged secret flame, and to her the stooping starlight.
The verse shows certain qualities of the Beast and the Scarlet Woman. HAD=5+1+4=10. The ‘winged secret flame’ is of course Hadit and the ‘stooping starlight’ is Nuit. The Sun and the Moon conjoined (planetary signs)= ShT – the sigil of the mark of the Beast forming a foreshortened phallus.17. But ye are not so chosen.
18. Burn upon their brows, o splendrous serpent!
A reference to the kundalini as it reaches the ajna. The serpent is also Hadit.
19. O azure-lidded woman, bend upon them!
The ‘azure-lidded woman’ is Nuit.20. The key of the rituals is in the secret word which I have given unto him.
This word is ABRAHADABRA the sacred word of 11 letters (5 vowels symbolic of man and the pentagram – microcosm and 6 consonants symbolic of God and the hexagram – macrocosm. It represents the accomplishment of the Great Work, which is the union of the microcosm and the macrocosm (5+6=11).21. With the God & the Adorer I am nothing: they do not see me. They are as upon the earth; I am Heaven, and there is no other God than me, and my lord Hadit.
The union of Hadit and Nuit by and act of will and love.22. Now, therefore, I am known to ye by my name Nuit, and to him by a secret name which I will give him when at last he knoweth me. Since I am Infinite Space, and the Infinite Stars thereof, do ye also thus. Bind nothing! Let there be no difference made among you between any one thing & any other thing; for thereby there cometh hurt.
This ‘secret name’ is BABALON =2+1+2+1+30+70+50=156. The adept will receive certain knowledge when he/she is ready in respect of ‘secret names’ which will have special relevance to the work of the adept. Also note: ‘ANY’=1+50+10=61. ‘HIM’=5+10+40=55. ‘HURT’=5+6+200+9=220 (220 are the number of verses in The Book of the Law).23. But whoso availeth in this, let him be the chief of all!
24. I am Nuit, and my word is six and fifty.
Nuit=NU=50+6=56. (6= vau ,the bull and the sun; 50= nun, the scorpion). N of NU= Infinite Space and U= the Infinite Stars thereof. ITH is Her great creative force which is extended in TH.
25. Divide, add, multiply, and understand.
‘Divide’ = 6 divided by 50= O.12
O= The circumference= Nuit.
.=The centre= Hadit.
1= The unity preceding Ra-Hoor-Khuit.
2= The Coptic H, shape closely resembles the Arabic 2= The breath of life – Thoth/conciousness.
‘Addition’ = 6+50=56= NU, and concentrating 5+6=11.
‘Multiply’ =6x50= 300 (Shin) – Ruach Elohim, the Holy Spirit.
27. Then the priest answered & said unto the Queen of Space, kissing her lovely brows, and the dew of her light bathing his whole body in a sweet-smelling perfume of sweat: O Nuit, continuous one of Heaven, let it be ever thus; that men speak not of Thee as One but as None; and let them speak not of thee at all, since thou art continuous!
Nuit above the Abyss is not ‘one’ but ‘none’.
28. None, breathed the light, faint & faery, of the stars, and two.
29. For I am divided for love's sake, for the chance of union.
UNION by the Tarot = V+XIII+IX+XV+XIII=55.30. This is the creation of the world, that the pain of division is as nothing, and the joy of dissolution all.
31. For these fools of men and their woes care not thou at all! They feel little; what is, is balanced by weak joys; but ye are my chosen ones.
ONES by the Tarot = V+XIII+XVII+XX (S as Shin) =55.32. Obey my prophet! follow out the ordeals of my knowledge! seek me only! Then the joys of my love will redeem ye from all pain. This is so: I swear it by the vault of my body; by my sacred heart and tongue; by all I can give, by all I desire of ye all.
33. Then the priest fell into a deep trance or swoon, & said unto the Queen of Heaven; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law!
34. But she said: the ordeals I write not: the rituals shall be half known and half concealed: the Law is for all.
The ordeals are brought about by the process of initiation and are there to challenge the candidate and are usually given in the most ordinary of ways which shall be known to the adept;. ‘an aspirant on the threshold of Initiation finds himself assailed by the ‘’complexes’’ which have corrupted him, their externalization excruciating him, and his agonized reluctance to their elimination plunging him into such ordeals that he seems (both to himself and others) to have turned from a noble and upright man into an unutterable scoundrel’. [Quoting Crowley from ‘What you should know about the Golden Dawn’. I. Regardie. (Phoenix; Falcon Press. 1985, p 77.
The idea of having the rituals and ordeals stated in a formalized way would create dogma and produce that detested institution – a ‘church’, which is the exact opposite of the desired effect of this ‘kiss to mankind’ – man is to seek within and not look to a ‘Papal’ figure for guidance where the word can become twisted; each for themselves.
35. This that thou writest is the threefold book of Law.
LAW in Greek is NOMOC from NEM, in Latin = NEMO. Law in Hebrew is ThORA.36. My scribe Ankh-af-na-khonsu, the priest of the princes, shall not in one letter change this book; but lest there be folly, he shall comment thereupon by the wisdom of Ra-Hoor-Khuit.
37. Also the mantras and spells; the obeah and the wanga; the work of the wand and the work of the sword; these he shall learn and teach.
The art of Magick is something we all do whether we realize it or not for all acts are magical acts. OBEAH (OBAH=78), the magick of the secret light, the acts. WANGA=6+1+50+3+1=61 which is the verbal and mental correspondence of the same. Also OB (AUB=9) is connected to the word ‘obey’. The ‘work of the wand’ creates union, and the ‘work of the sword’ creates division.38. He must teach; but he may make severe the ordeals.
39. The word of the Law is THELEMA.
THELEMA=93 by Greek Kabbalah. Written in full it is 2542 (2+5+4+2=13 AChAD [unity] and AHBH [love] also O in the Tarot, the Fool).
40. Who calls us Thelemites will do no wrong, if he look but close into the word. For there are therein Three Grades, the Hermit, and the Lover, and the man of Earth. Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
These three grades of the Thelemite are the Man of Earth which symbolizes the material aspect of the adept; the Lover whose passion towards the Great Work is boundless and the Hermit who works solitary but not in seclusion and dedicates his life unto the Law of Thelema and the Great Work. There is a further meaning= THELEMA= (THE) which is the Hermit (Yod); (LE ) the Lovers (Zain), the lightening flash and (MA) the Man of Earth (Pe) The Blasted Tower. These three keys equal 31, which is LA (Not), and AL (God); also, Thelema= Nuit,the All embracing 31x3=93. THE=14, the pentagram and the rule of spirit over matter. The Hierophant (vau) also Leo/Aries, the Lion and the Ram; LE=38, the key= ABRAHADABRA=418, divided by the number of its letters which is 11=Justice or Balance. MA=41, the inverted pentagram which symbolises matter dominant over spirit; the Hanged Man and the Fool – those who have not accepted the Law of Thelema.
‘Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law’ has 11 words and contains 37 letters (111 divided by 3=37).
41. The word of Sin is Restriction. O man! refuse not thy wife, if she will! O lover, if thou wilt, depart! There is no bond that can unite the divided but love: all else is a curse. Accursed! Accursed be it to the aeons! Hell.
The verse states that there is no shame in sex and that it should be a joyous occasion and flow forth naturally and un-restricted. It reiterates the fact that all bodies are stars, each travelling in their own orbit. Stars may come together in pleasure without the fear of hurt, and sin and the old beliefs of ownership etc. ‘O Man’ seems to indicate certain ordeals for the man of earth grade and ‘O Lover’ seems to do the same for the Lover grade. ‘The word of Sin is Restriction’ contains 25 letters. WILL=WLL (6+30+30) =66. HELL=HLL (5+30+30) =65.42. Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
43. Do that, and no other shall say nay.
If the aspirant is performing their true will then the universe will assist them and no other (or Nuit) can distract from the great work. NAY=50+1+10=61.44. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
45. The Perfect and the Perfect are one Perfect and not two; nay, are none!
46. Nothing is a secret key of this law. Sixty-one the Jews call it; I call it eight, eighty, four hundred & eighteen.
61= AIN the true nothing of Nuit which is 8, 80, 418.
8= Cheth, spelt in full it is 418. (Tau=400, Yod=10, Cheth=8).
418=ABRAHADABRA, the word of Ra-Hoor-Khuit.
80=(Pe) the letter of Ra-Hoor-Khuit.47. But they have the half: unite by thine art so that all disappear.
HALF=5+1+30+6=42 (4+2=6 the Sun)
UNITE contains the name of NUIT and by addition is 6+50+10+9+5=80. By the Tarot we get: V+XIII+IX+XI+XVII=55 Malkuth, the Bride. The word also looks as if there is a possible formula hidden: 5 letters= pentagram which is the symbol of Hadit. By dividing the word into three sections so that we have UN (NU reversed) – IT – E we can extract the word Nuit to leave the letter E which will give us a dominant factor for further equations, such as UN+E (56+5)=61. Also IT (10+9) =19= the Serpent, Leo, Strength, Ra-Hoor-Khuit, Lion, XI in the Tarot (Lust) and the letter Teth. It is solar in influence and represents the Phallus.
506+61=567. 506 qabalistically backwards=605 and 605+61=666.
666=6x111 and 11=Aleph=O in the Tarot.
666=1+2+3+4+5+6……………+35+36=666, the sum of the numbers in the magic square of sol (the sun). 666 is the number of the Beast.
48. My prophet is a fool with his one, one, one; are not they the Ox, and none by the Book?
49. Abrogate are all rituals, all ordeals, all words and signs. Ra-Hoor-Khuit hath taken his seat in the East at the Equinox of the Gods; and let Asar be with Isa, who also are one. But they are not of me. Let Asar be the adorant, Isa the sufferer; Hoor in his secret name and splendour is the Lord initiating.
50. There is a word to say about the Hierophantic task. Behold! there are three ordeals in one, and it may be given in three ways. The gross must pass through fire; let the fine be tried in intellect, and the lofty chosen ones in the highest. Thus ye have star & star, system & system; let not one know well the other!
51. There are four gates to one palace; the floor of that palace is of silver and gold; lapis lazuli & jasper are there; and all rare scents; jasmine & rose, and the emblems of death. Let him enter in turn or at once the four gates; let him stand on the floor of the palace. Will he not sink? Amn. Ho! warrior, if thy servant sink? But there are means and means. Be goodly therefore: dress ye all in fine apparel; eat rich foods and drink sweet wines and wines that foam! Also, take your fill and will of love as ye will, when, where and with whom ye will! But always unto me.
The palace is Malkuth and the four gates are the elements, (this could also represent Light, Life, Love and Liberty). Amn Ho! (AMN=AMEN=91 or taking N as final=741) PALACE= HIKL=5+10+20+30=65 (Samekh 60 + Heh 5 by the Tarot is XIV+XVII=31.52. If this be not aright; if ye confound the space-marks, saying: They are one; or saying, They are many; if the ritual be not ever unto me: then expect the direful judgments of Ra Hoor Khuit!
53. This shall regenerate the world, the little world my sister, my heart & my tongue, unto whom I send this kiss. Also, o scribe and prophet, though thou be of the princes, it shall not assuage thee nor absolve thee. But ecstasy be thine and joy of earth: ever To me! To me!
The heart is the symbol of love and intelligence and therefore represents Ra-Hoor-Khuit while the tongue is the organ of speech and represents Thoth.
To me = To (Mu-eta) – ‘the not’ in Greek. Also ‘To Mu-eta’ = 418.54. Change not as much as the style of a letter; for behold! thou, o prophet, shalt not behold all these mysteries hidden therein.
55. The child of thy bowels, he shall behold them.
56. Expect him not from the East, nor from the West; for from no expected house cometh that child. Aum! All words are sacred and all prophets true; save only that they understand a little; solve the first half of the equation, leave the second unattacked. But thou hast all in the clear light, and some, though not all, in the dark.
SOME=60+6+40+5=11157. Invoke me under my stars! Love is the law, love under will. Nor let the fools mistake love; for there are love and love. There is the dove, and there is the serpent. Choose ye well! He, my prophet, hath chosen, knowing the law of the fortress, and the great mystery of the House of God.
All these old letters of my Book are aright; but [Tzaddi] is not the Star. This also is secret: my prophet shall reveal it to the wise.
58. I give unimaginable joys on earth: certainty, not faith, while in life, upon death; peace unutterable, rest, ecstasy; nor do I demand aught in sacrifice.
AUGHT=1+6+3+5+9=2459. My incense is of resinous woods & gums; and there is no blood therein: because of my hair the trees of Eternity.
60. My number is 11, as all their numbers who are of us. The Five Pointed Star, with a Circle in the Middle, & the circle is Red. My colour is black to the blind, but the blue & gold are seen of the seeing. Also I have a secret glory for them that love me.
US=6+60=66 (66= verses in chapter one). 66 is also HOOR by the Tarot XVII+XV+XV+XIX=66. Also Allah (ALLH).
61. But to love me is better than all things: if under the night stars in the desert thou presently burnest mine incense before me, invoking me with a pure heart, and the Serpent flame therein, thou shalt come a little to lie in my bosom. For one kiss wilt thou then be willing to give all; but whoso gives one particle of dust shall lose all in that hour. Ye shall gather goods and store of women and spices; ye shall wear rich jewels; ye shall exceed the nations of the earth in splendour & pride; but always in the love of me, and so shall ye come to my joy. I charge you earnestly to come before me in a single robe, and covered with a rich headdress. I love you! I yearn to you! Pale or purple, veiled or voluptuous, I who am all pleasure and purple, and drunkenness of the innermost sense, desire you. Put on the wings, and arouse the coiled splendour within you: come unto me!
JOY=10+70+10=90= Tzaddi, the fish hook. Or 10+6+10=26= IHVH (Jehovah).
62. At all my meetings with you shall the priestess say -- and her eyes shall burn with desire as she stands bare and rejoicing in my secret temple -- To me! To me! calling forth the flame of the hearts of all in her love-chant.
A reference to the Gnostic Mass.
63. Sing the rapturous love-song unto me! Burn to me perfumes! Wear to me jewels! Drink to me, for I love you! I love you!
LOVE=30+70+6+5=111. In Greek it is AGAPE=93 and in Hebrew AHBH=1+5+2+5=13.64. I am the blue-lidded daughter of Sunset; I am the naked brilliance of the voluptuous night-sky.
65. To me! To me!
66. The Manifestation of Nuit is at an end.
HAD+NV=10+56=66. Also, note that verse 66 contains 31 letters.
66=1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11 (The Tree of Life=10 Sephiroth and number 11 the Qliphoth). 66 is also Allah (ALLH 1+30+30+5) and notice ‘is at an end’ contains the word SATAN that is 300+1+9+1+50=361. This number (a perfect square) represents the supernals (3), the members of Ruach (6) and Malkuth (1). By the Tarot we get: XX+O+XI+O+XIII=44 (DM Blood).